March 25th, 2014
Why is there nowhere in LinkedIn to say, “These are my future career ambitions” or “This is the title I want next”? With all this data on people’s careers, LinkedIn could do some amazing things to help you advance your career
- What might your future career path look like based on people who have followed similar paths?
- What career path would help you get to where you want to go?
- Who do you know who can help you with that? Who should you know who can help you with that?
- What companies are looking for people who have those ambitions?
- Tell those companies which people would be a good fit for them based on their ambitions and career path.
Yet despite all this potential, LinkedIn seems to only offer you job and group and connection suggestions based on your current position.
LinkedIn recommending me the job I held five years ago. Cheers, I'm good tho.
— Cennydd Bowles (@Cennydd) March 20, 2014
Do people really only want to make lateral moves and take the same position in a different company? Or is this simply a result of their market thinking the same way? Do companies really only want people who are happy to make lateral moves their whole lives?